Thursday, October 23, 2008

Don't always understand

It's strange how my mom knows this family, but coming from a small town you know people through other people, etc. But this family has a little boy named Gunner who is now 8 (he has a younger sister whom I believe is 5) and he has a terminal brain tumor. The particular name of it I don't know, but instead of being more like a tumor- ball like shape, it has fingers so it's basically inoperable. They've known this for around a year and a half I believe. The treatment has been over for a while now and they have basically been watching his brain shut down his body. Janna, his mother, updated her journal recently with news that hospice believes he has around 48 hours. My heart aches for these people.... I can't imagine what they are thinking, feeling and anticipating. I pray that none of you ever has to endure such pain, but I cannot tell you what the Lord has planned for you.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gunnergillespie

There is also a man at our church who has a neice who just went in for surgery on what they believe to be a tumor on her back. Her mother discovered it one day and in a few days it had grown and changed color. They just did operate on her on Monday and I haven't heard what the diagnosis is, or if it was malignant or benign.

Just a reminder that we don't always know what God has planned for us and that we should enjoy all the time we have with the people we love.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

It's always hard to hear bad news like that, but thanks for letting us know so we can be praying for them; and so we can be thankful for our time here. Keep us posted.

Denise said...

Thank you for sharing. We have a friend in Fort Wayne, that their son who is 5 years old had the same kind of tumor on the brain, it had fingers that were wrapping around the the nerves in the brain. They actually brought him down here to Riley, where he underwent a 22 hour surgery. They said he would have about a nine to ten month recovery period and would probably have to relearn a lot of things, even walking. The last time we talked with them, he was making great strives. God is working through his life and the first words that he said was "Jesus Loves Me". My prayers are with this other family, thank you for sharing their story, I hope everyone can see the hope in mine.