Friday, October 31, 2008

Crayon Ideas

With a two year old who doesn't quite understand what crayons are meant for I get ALOT of broken crayons. I always buy like 10 packs in the beginning of the school year (for $.10 each). Over the past few months I have collected all the broken pieces and took the paper off. Well I finally have enough to melt em down.


For the stars I had a silicone heart mold that I threw like colors of crayons into. I filled them about 2/3 full. I then baked them at 225 for 10 minutes. I didn't stir them because I like the swirly look. Then I let them cool and popped them out. For the other pieces (boat, train and truck) I melted pieces in the microwave. I don't suggest this since it caught on fire. BUT... I then poured them into the candy molds. The colors all ran together and pretty much became one solid color. Of course, Isaac likes those best because of the shapes. The nice part about the stars is that they are chunky and hard to break. Maybe I won't have so many broken pieces now.

Bobbi made some that she called Crayon Cakes in muffin tins. I also have poured them into old glue sticks which is nice also. The possibilities are endless people... keep those broken crayons...or donate them to Bobbi or myself. LOL!

3 comments:

Carmel said...

You said hearts twice, but I didn't see any hearts in the pic. Are they really just candy molds? Those are really cute.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Dang you have caught two of my pregnant moments in one day!

Carmel said...

Sorry about that..... I don't mean to point it out, but I wanted to see the hearts. : ) Didn't mean to catch a preggy brain moment. I have plenty, let me tell you. : )