Thursday, April 29, 2010

Potty Training Help! Please!

Good Morning Ladies! I need your help in a bad way! I was at MTO last week and I took some serious notes on potty training and I have been following them to a "T". Truthfully, I was doing most of them already. However, I cannot get my daughter to sit on the potty. Maisie is 2 1/2. She was 2 in Oct. and is really ready for the potty. She used to be excited about sitting on the potty, until we started asking her to sit on it, now she wants nothing to do with it. I'm making her change her own dirty training panties, etc. She has gone #2 once on the potty, but never #1. I am using kind words and a soft tone of voice with her, but I feel so frustrated! She has a tub of jelly beans and gets them if she uses the potty and knows it. She gets them for nothing else. I am at a loss. How do I get her to use the potty?? If I let her run around in nothing at all she will hold it for up to 3 hours and then go to the back of my kitchen and pee there. So that's not an option. Please help. I really feel that God's trying to teach me something about patience here, so any verse about patience would be appreciated too, as would prayers. Thanks so much! You guys are the best!!

7 comments:

Bobbi said...

At first I thought of saying "To everything there is a season...ECC.3:1...and encouraging you to just wait. It's one of those things that they are in complete control of...if she doesn't want to sit...wait until a happy moment when she does...it'll happen.
But, just to encourage you in your spiritual journey...Prov.3:5-6,"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Shelley Fuge said...

2 1/2...don't worry. She'll get there. She's young yet. Mine is 3 1/2. (although he's a boy). I've learned to let it go. It says NOTHING against you against you as a parent. She's an individual and will do it in her own time. Believe me, I've had to step back and realize this. You are doing everything "right", but nothing can miraculously make it all click except her God given readiness.

tegonm said...

One additional comment. Even though you feel she is ready by the signs shes exhibiting, that doesnt mean she ACTUALLY is ready. If she were ready, she would be doing it. She is really pretty young still. Give yourself a break and her too. It will happen, I promise!! Maybe the best thing is to take a step back for a bit and re-address it down the road when she is over her fear of the potty, but at the same time continue to still make her change herself.Hang in there, prayers are with you :)

Rachel said...

Darlin...I feel your sadness. Didn't get to hear either panel 'cause i was with the kiddos so I can't really speak to what they said, but this worked with one of my clients that was facing a similar struggle. I have used a similar tactic with eating and picky eaters so here it is darlin! Buy panties in her favorite color or character. Take away the potty seat, take away the jelly beans and tell her..."we are done for now, you can use baby-diapers as long as you want. When you are done with baby-diapers I will have these (big flare and show) panties in my big mommy drawer waiting on you. I love you. I will help you with your diapers and I will help you with your panties. You get to pick when to pee-pee in the potty. Okay?" then hugs and kisses and you are done with it! This is not guilt. It is saying hey you are the boss of your body, you pick the when and mama will love you no matter what. Many people advise making them clean up their mess. That is like making me rework a calculus test because I flunked it...it won't help me learn and I and I can tell you I will feel like you don't care about me. Taking the stress and drama and power away from this will make it a no-big-deal-I-can-do-that task. REMEMBER: You are a wonderful mother no matter when she pees in the pot. Love her through this, it is the first of many times she will push against you and need your unconditional support.

techcat said...

Harmon loved to announce to the world he had pottied. Hayden liked to sneak in the potty and go by himself, without anyone knowing. She may just be a little shy. Hayden hated being asked. She will potty when she is ready don't worry. This will feel like a cake walk when in 15 years she is asking to take the car and go on dates.

PeacefulMomma said...

I have waited with each of my kids until they told me they were ready. Their are biological signs as well as psychological signs they are ready. They final sign is a child telling you they have to go potty. If she is telling you during or after she has gone in her diaper, then physically she might not be ready.
I just read in a pamphlet that was in a potty I just bought for my 2 year old (who, not just 5 minutes ago was running around without a diaper and pooped on my couch:)that if they are in that defiant stage it might not be a good time to push the issue. All I know is my girls were potty trained one month if that before their third birthday. My oldest had pullups at nap and bedtime for a while after. My younger daughter went cold turkey into only underwear and did great. My 2 yr old son, on the other hand, who will be three in less than a month, I'm just praying he decides to be potty trained by September so he can go to preschool:)

Don't fret. It'll happen on her own time.

Stacie

Shelley Fuge said...

bottomline, all kids are different. Caleb excelled with helping to clean up his "messes". If it's discipline, I wouldn't do it, but sometimes they get a kick out of helping to clean up the pee. :) That's us though! Whatever works for ya chica!! There is no MAGICAL way! :)