I have a 10 month old who is seemingly less and less interested in his bottle.... he LOVES table food. My children tend to be on the slim side as many of you know and rather than waste calorie time with water in his sippy, I'd like to go to milk. (If I am truly honest with you... I've actually let him have milk for about a week). But my motherly guilt has kicked in and I am feeling the need to validate my decision. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts (right... I know enough about blog / internet / facebook world to know that everyone has thoughts. But as we are sharing our opinions- unless of course you are professionally qualified- then let's please be kind in our responses- not that that's ever been a problem on our particular blog.) He has already had yogurt and cheese and seems to be tolerating everything just fine. We've even moved away from baby food to family dinner that's been through the food processor. He's quite the chow hound.
Thanks!
UPDATE: The doc called me back and says no to milk before a year b/c of worry of anemia or bleeding in the stomach. Apparently it's hard for them to digest. Guess those aren't factors I'm willing to risk... will try the formula in the sippy cup as suggested by Lisa... hopefully he goes for that. : )
5 comments:
What about putting formula in his sippy cup rather than milk? The reason for formula to a year, then switching to whole milk until 2 years is more about the fat that the brain needs and less about the fat on the body or their weight. Just my 2 cents! ;)
Lisa,
I'm not as concerned about his weight... the doc always gives me grief, even though all three have been the same... long and lean. : )
I will try the formula, would it matter if it was cold or warm?
I don't think it matters if its warm or cold, as long as it mixes well.
They also have the "advanced" formula, or maybe it's stage 2 or something to that effect. Either way. I put that in the sippy cup when DS wanted it until he was 15 months. I didn't make the switch to just milk until then because of the lower levels of vitamins and such. But the other formula seemed to work well.
Good luck!
I will say I gave Isaac milk at 10 months. My doc said go ahead, "there isn't a magic that happens the day they turn one." I say go for it. But I am definitely not one to be too concerned about that stuff either so I don't know.
Post a Comment